Manuka honey has some amazing health benefits. However, because of its rising popularity many companies are trying to cash in by selling fake Manuka honey. Real Manuka honey has medicinal and antibacterial properties, which is why it’s so important to find the real deal. When looking for it, it should have the following clearly labeled:
via Dr. Axe
- It will have a UMF trademark clearly labeled on the front of the container.
- It will be from a New Zealand UMF licensed company and labelled in New Zealand.
- It will have the UMF company’s name and license number on the label.
- It will have a UMF rating number of 5-16+. If it is labeled without the UMF or without a number, then it is not the genuine article.
Keep in mind that the higher the UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) the more superior the medicinal quality is. For example, by using a Manuka honey with a UMF of 10-14 you will experience some healing and bacterial balance. Use a Manuka honey with a UMF of 15+, which is high in phenols, you will experience more medicinal benefits such as combating resistant bacteria.
The following are a range of specific health benefits you might experience with Manuka honey via Dr. Axe:
- It can help with small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), low stomach acid, and acid reflux
- It can fight acne and eczema
- It can fight staph infections (MRSA)
- It can heal burns, wounds, and ulcers
- It can help cure gingivitis and periodontal disease
- It can reduce colonic inflammation and restore lipid peroxidation seen in those who suffer with IBS and IBD
- It can stop the growth of sore-throat causing strep bacteria and boost the immune system
- It can help combat seasonal allergies and sinusitis
- When added to milk it can aid in the release of melatonin and create deeper, more restful sleep