Is Bottled Water Toxic?

In the U.S. we consume about 30 billion bottles of water each year. 80 percent of the water bottles we use end up in landfills, which means the environmental impact of our decision to drink bottled water is one that could be potentially disastrous.

Via Norm Schriever:

Water bottles are made of completely recyclable polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastics, but PETs don’t biodegrade they photodegrade, which means they break down into smaller fragments over time. Those fragments absorb toxins that pollute our waterways, contaminate our soil, and sicken animals (which we then eat). Plastic trash also absorbs organic pollutants like BPA and PCBs. They may take centuries to decompose while sitting in landfills, amounting to endless billions of little environmentally poisonous time bombs.

The impact of bottled water on our bodies isn’t any better. BPA leeches into the bottled water especially if it has been sitting in warm temperatures. BPA is so toxic that it can lead to reproductive issues and cancer. In addition, phthalates, which are hormone-disrupters also leech into bottled water after sitting in storage for as little as 10 weeks.

A new study out of Germany concluded that there are actually thousands of potentially toxic chemicals leeching into not just our bottled water but other beverages and foods that use plastic products. These chemicals include; an endocrine-disrupting chemical (EDC) known as di(2-ethylhexyl) fumarate, or DEHF, that is completely unregulated, and are just at the tip of the iceberg.

Learn more about the study and what was found here.

Comments are closed.

Powered by