Green tea is not only delicious, especially when infused with cardamom or jasmine, but it has a range of amazing health benefits for your body and your mind.
10 Health Benefits of Organic Green Tea via Kris Gunnars, BSc:
- Green tea contains various bioactive compounds that can improve your health
- EGCG and polyphenols such as flavonoids and catechin’s, which are powerful antioxidants.
- The compounds found in green tea can improve brain function and raise IQ
- The combination of L-theanine and caffeine found in green tea enhances brain function, mood, and memory.
- Green tea increases fat burning and improves physical performance
- In studies the caffeine in green tea was shown to increase fat burning, boost the metabolic rate, increase energy expenditure, increase fat oxidation,and improve physical performance.
- Antioxidants in green tea could potentially lower your risk of various types of cancer
- Through various studies, it was observed that an increase in green tea consumption was related to a pretty significant decrease in breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers.
- Green tea may protect your brain in old age, and lower the risk for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease
- Several studies show that the catechin compounds in green tea have the ability to protect the neurons in your brain, which could potentially lower the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Green tea can kill bacteria, improve dental health, and lowers your risk of infection
- The catechin can kill bacteria and inhibit its growth.
- Green tea may lower your risk of type II diabetes
- Studies show that drinking green tea can improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.
- One specific study conducted in Japan showed that those who drank the most green tea had a 42% lower risk of developing type II diabetes.
- Green tea may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Green tea can improve total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides levels.
- Green tea drinkers have a 31% lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Green tea can help you lose weight and reduce your risk of becoming obese
- Several studies show that green tea decreases body fat, especially in the abdominal area.
- Green tea may actually help you to live longer
“In a study of 40,530 Japanese adults, those who drank the most green tea (5 or more cups per day) were significantly less likely to die during an 11 year period:
Death of all causes: 23% lower in women, 12% lower in men.
Death from heart disease: 31% lower in women, 22% lower in men.
Death from stroke: 42% lower in women, 35% lower in men.
Another study in 14,001 elderly Japanese individuals aged 65-84 years found that those who drank the most green tea were 76% less likely to die during the 6 year study period.”